The recipe and recap of our inaugural 'Cooking n Culture' Insta Live with cook and half-Nigerian, Diya Chubba.
‘Cooking n Culture’ is a weekly cultural cooking class hosted by chefs, cooks and avid food lovers from our community, in aim of keeping connected and keeping those bellies full. Hosts will teach us about their culture whilst letting us in on how to cook delicious traditional dishes.
The first session took place with Diya Chubba of Chubba's Kitchen, which started in January 2020 as a healthy food preparation company that does weekly delivers of cultural food, meat and vegan alternatives at an affordable price, in aim of encouraging a balanced diet.
Scroll down for ingredients, methods and some of the resulting dishes from our first session.
1. Wash and par boil rice for 7 minutes.
2. Add peppers tomatoes, garlic, scotch bonnet and ginger and onion to the blender, blend until smooth.
3. Warm pan with oil to cover bottom and wait until hot. Add blender mix along with a maggi cube, tablespoon of curry powder, half a teaspoon of cinnamon and nutmeg (thyme, bay leaves optional), half a teaspoon of turmeric, and half a tube of tomato puree. Mix and leave for ten minutes.
4. Strain par boiled rice and add to mixture with a cup of water, turn on to low heat until rice cooked through.
5. Turn off pan and leave for ten minutes then serve.
Rice (Long grain white rice is best, but you can use brown or basmati too)
A can of chopped tomatoes
1 x tomato purée
1 x red bell pepper (L)
1 x scotch bonnet
1 clove of garlic
1 inch of root ginger
Mixed herb spice
Maggi/ chicken stock
Liquid Maggie seasoning
Curry powder (any is fine)
Dried thyme (optional)
Cooking oils: vegetable or rapeseed
Stay tuned for this week's cooking class!